Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm Making my Wish

It has been officially been 4 weeks since the start date of my first ever internship in the Public Relations field. Walking into the door on day one was the most terrifying part...not knowing exactly what to expect. I was quickly at ease as I could not have been greeted with more excitement and generosity. Orientation was a quick overview of what exactly Make-A-Wish is and how it makes a difference in so many families lives. I learned alot that I would not have ever known.

Orientation was over and it was time to meet with out supervisor's. My supervisor, Kelly Henderson, had also interviewd me and I was very excited to be working with her. Unfortunately, she had bad news for me. Her time at Make-A-Wish was coming to an end as she had taken a different position in a more corportate setting. She was the point person for the annual Tournament of Wishes golf tournament and had planned the event from top to bottom. She had 2 weeks left to show me the ropes and give me all the bits of information about this tournament that it took many people months to fully absorb.

Only after a few printing errors and paperwork mistakes I felt like my feet were finally on the ground. The amount of responsibility and job duties that were assigned to me was very overwhelming, but it felt great to play a big role and have people look to me knowing I was capable of getting it done.

So far I think the one thing that I enjoy the most is able to take the reins and run with things no my own. I feel confident in my abilites and actions that I don't have to ask permission before I do every single thing. It is also great that this organization trusts me enough to do that. This tournament consists of everything from live and silent auctions, celebrity appearances, awards, breakfast and lunch arrangements, wish children appearances, contests, and a reception. Attention to detail has proven to be very important and I can't wait to see the execution of this tournament!

No comments:

Post a Comment