Monday, April 19, 2010

Summer Internship


As a
Mass Communication major at Georgia College & State University I am required to complete a 300 hour internship for course credit. Many people think sure, finding an internship would be easy right? WRONG! Many companies have had to cut their internship and learning programs due to the current economy. In the past 5 years students have really noticed the effects and have found it very difficult to land an internship.
I began my search in November and began applying to a select number of companies and organizations. I was looking for internships that dealt with PR, development, communications, and event planning. I also began to realize that I was paying extra close attention to internships in non-profit organizations. In November of 2009 my Public Relations Admin class spent the semester planning the Relay for Life Kickoff Dinner. After that night, I knew I was meant for non-profit work. Knowing your are making a difference in someone's life is rewarding in itself. Most of my work here at GC&SU has involved event planning, campaigning, writing and editing. I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have done and want to continue on to learn as much as I possibly can.
I was granted a phone interview with Make-A-Wish Foundation. I was extremely nervous but answered the questions as best I can. A week later I got a phone call from the head of HR and was asked to come in for another interview. I prepared as much as I could and left the interview feeling great. I felt it was a great fit for me and I could really shine in this organization.
I was offered a position as part of their Development Team working on the annual Season of Wishes and wrapping up the Tournamant of Wishes.
I am extremely excited about this opportunity and hope I get as much out of it as I can. Having the opportunity to see sick children in need have their wishes come true is something that will be indescribable and knowing I was a part of it will be extremely rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment